Parrot is a virtual machine designed to efficiently compile and execute bytecode for dynamic languages. Parrot currently hosts a variety of language implementations in various stages of completion, including Tcl, Javascript, Ruby, Lua, Scheme, PHP, Python, Perl 6, APL, and a .NET bytecode translator. Parrot is not about parrots, though we are rather fond of them for obvious reasons.

Parrot-libgit2 report

This report comes rather late, so let me give an overview of what's been happening.
The last report talked about an unified buildsystem. Since then the project has made a little progress. There were bugs in the unified buildsystem which meant that that the pir file which was generated from the nci file was stale at best, representing older versions of libgit2. This made a lot of work go down the drain, as a lot of my debugging was aimed at sending the correct datastructures. However this was a good step in finding my mistakes and moving ahead.

app-parrot-create weekly report

A few last weeks, I'm working to support build system with different languages. Such as PIR, NQP, Winxed and Perl5. At this day a build system supported PIR, NQP and Winxed languages with pmc, ops and doc optioms each other.
https://github.com/letolabs/app-parrot-create/commit/ce014947aa0dc7222e7... shows a changes which need to support a build system with nqp language.
https://github.com/letolabs/app-parrot-create/commit/c6dbb7fd378e2bd52f3... shows a changes which need to support a build system with winxed language.

app-parrot-create weekly report

At this week I'm working with different deploy systems.
Such dotCloud, gnu Compile Farm. I'm changing my project for that deploy systems.
As a result of this work is http://gcc20.fsffrance.org:3000/

So I can continue my work for providing a different build and test system on my project.
I'm going to continue my work on support a winxed build and test system on my hll template file.

Progress Report

While trying to get QASTNode.nqp to compile I noticed a strange error claiming that some code refs where missing from the serialization context.
By binarysecting the file (deleting line till the error goes away) it turned out that roles in modules where causing problems. Serializing roles requires serializing a closure, and modules are special that they require to be compiled twice, both to JavaScript and PIR (that is untill we are fully boostraped).
The thing that turned out to be causing trouble is that the JavaScript backend is using a slightly different bootstraping procedure.

parrot-libgit2: Unified Build System

One of the objectives before the midterms was to unify the buildsystem. Earlier the build process consisted of a separate Makefile and a setup.winxed file, and yet manually required people to go and build Rosella themselves.

app-parrot-create weekly report

At this week I start to deploy my project on real server.
My project is going to deploy on parrot.org and dotCloud servers.
The stable version will deploy on parrot.org. The development version will deploy on dotCloud machine.
For this I've updated dependencies of my project.
These changes are shown on https://github.com/letolabs/app-parrot-create/commit/4b9e2f70558033b43c4... that commit.
At this week I'm going to continue my work on support a winxed build and test system on my hll template file.

Parrot 5.6.0 "Psittacosaurus" Released!

    Psittacosaurus (...from the Greek for "parrot lizard")...
    notable for being the most species-rich dinosaur genus.

    Psittacosaurus is not as familiar to the general public
    as its distant relative Triceratops but it is one of the
    most completely known dinosaur genera.
        -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psittacosaurus

On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 5.6.0, also known as "Psittacosaurus". Parrot is a virtual machine aimed at running all dynamic languages.

tags:

GSoC weekly report

Another slow week, with much work being blocked by a simple bug that I am debugging with the help of the several people now (Details below). The uncompleted objectives of this week would mean that I would need to reschedule some of my future efforts. I tried to schedule my project as best as I can with previous knowledge, but its hard to predict the problems that will come up. I am reminded of this blog post, where optimism in scheduling a project is cautioned against.

app-parrot-create weekly report

At this week I've continued work to be engaged in the creation of hll template file.
I'm working on support a winxed build and test system.
This commit is showing that
https://github.com/letolabs/app-parrot-create/commit/9af8163b3c9558eb3dd...

I will plan to finish that work in the next couple of weeks.
I'm going to use a winxed build system file from already done project such as:
https://github.com/letolabs/parrot-libgit2/blob/master/setup.winxed
https://github.com/leto/parrot-lapack/blob/master/setup.winxed

Weekly GSoC progress report

I have finally implemented the closure deserialization correctly.
It required changing the way static lexicals are handle. (Static lexicals are the one declared by a QAST::Var node with a decl equal to 'static', which means they are bound to a serialized object and we are free to assume they don't get bound to at runtime). Previously for every code ref which was a part of a serialized object (but not a closure) I have emited code to recreat all the static lexicals for all of it's outer context. Needless to say the resulting code was long and ugly.

Syndicate content