One of the objectives before the midterms was to unify the buildsystem. Earlier the build process consisted of a separate Makefile and a setup.winxed file, and yet manually required people to go and build Rosella themselves.
At this week I start to deploy my project on real server.
My project is going to deploy on parrot.org and dotCloud servers.
The stable version will deploy on parrot.org. The development version will deploy on dotCloud machine.
For this I've updated dependencies of my project.
These changes are shown on https://github.com/letolabs/app-parrot-create/commit/4b9e2f70558033b43c4... that commit.
At this week I'm going to continue my work on support a winxed build and test system on my hll template file.
Psittacosaurus (...from the Greek for "parrot lizard")...
notable for being the most species-rich dinosaur genus.
Psittacosaurus is not as familiar to the general public
as its distant relative Triceratops but it is one of the
most completely known dinosaur genera.
On behalf of the Parrot team, I'm proud to announce Parrot 5.6.0,
also known as "Psittacosaurus". Parrot
is a virtual machine aimed at running all dynamic languages.
Another slow week, with much work being blocked by a simple bug that I am debugging with the help of the several people now (Details below). The uncompleted objectives of this week would mean that I would need to reschedule some of my future efforts. I tried to schedule my project as best as I can with previous knowledge, but its hard to predict the problems that will come up. I am reminded of this blog post, where optimism in scheduling a project is cautioned against.
I have finally implemented the closure deserialization correctly.
It required changing the way static lexicals are handle. (Static lexicals are the one declared by a QAST::Var node with a decl equal to 'static', which means they are bound to a serialized object and we are free to assume they don't get bound to at runtime). Previously for every code ref which was a part of a serialized object (but not a closure) I have emited code to recreat all the static lexicals for all of it's outer context. Needless to say the resulting code was long and ugly.
I tried to mimick the way subroutines are wrapped on rakudo and make test passed on parrot I commited the code.
And it broke nqp on the jvm. And I realised that rakudo on the jvm uses the HEAD revision on nqp and not a version specified in tools/build/NQP_REVISION. And after my commit make test broke on nqp.
I reverted the commit, and Jonathan Worthington figured out that I misunderstood what p6capture_lex did.
This was a rather slow week in terms of work done. The work done this week started out with merging the nciupdate branch with master. Having PMC's as default fallbacks for unparseable arguments made the nci defs much more accurate. Of course tests are still needed, and some flaws would come forward as other work builds upon that work.
Then the next part involved cleaning out some more cruft from the old project. This included redundant entries in .gitmodules, duplicated directories and some other makefile work.