, though we are rather fond of them for obvious reasons.
Submitted by tcurtis on Wed, 08/24/2011 - 23:19
The hard "pencils down" date was Monday, so now seems like a good time for a blog post summarizing what I ended up completing.
I have DPDA generation and parsing working for LR(0) and SLR(1) grammars. I have the beginnings of a grammar specification DSL (a grammar, but no actions or tokenizer yet; it's in the dsl branch). I do not have support for LALR(k) grammars or general LR(k) grammars. I have not implemented generating code to parse grammars (as opposed to interpreting the DPDA in order to parse them).
Submitted by benabik on Mon, 08/22/2011 - 05:26
I've spent the last few days cleaning up my branch: adding documentation, checking that it passes the code standard tests, and trying compiling Rakudo nom. Don't get too excited, we can't compile nom directly to bytecode. Heck, it can't compile squaak directly yet. But I wanted to make sure that all my tinkering hasn't broken the original PIR generation path.
Submitted by soh_cah_toa on Sun, 08/21/2011 - 03:32
Actually, I suppose the flight has really just begun. It's true that GSoC is nearly at its end but, ironically enough, it doesn't really feel like the end but more of a new beginning. A new debug data format is in the works and it has so much potential!
Submitted by benabik on Sat, 08/20/2011 - 18:48
While I didn't implement everything I thought I would, there is now a basic framework for bytecode generation in the nqp_pct branch. I'm uncertain if it should be merged... While the bytecode generation doesn't fully work, it doesn't interfere with the existing usage of PCT and does have the nice feature that PAST::Compiler is now written in NQP for ease of hacking. I'll leave that up to the rest of the community to decide. The rest of this blog post is the contents of
docs/pct/bytecode.pod, which I hope will be helpful if anyone want to explore what I've been working on all summer.
Submitted by rohit_nsit08 on Sat, 08/20/2011 - 14:22
With only two days left before the hard dead line and that will the end of my first GSOC . These three months has given me a tremendous insight into the world of open source, scripting languages and off-course compilers.
The good parts
Submitted by bubaflub on Sat, 08/20/2011 - 03:41
It's been a while since I've posted - real life has been crazy with moving and setting up and finals. That's my fault because I didn't take into account the fact that I would be moving nor my finals being right around the time GSoC would be ending. The good news is that I've moved and setup my place (hooray for having my own office) and my classes are done - I've written the last research paper and taken my last final for my masters.
Submitted by rohit_nsit08 on Thu, 08/18/2011 - 14:37
After missing action from some time, Corella is rising again . Right now Corella is not able to compile itself which was intended to but I'm trying to cover as much as possible and will give my best in this week. Corella's object system ("Corella-System") is ready and working.
Worked on arrays today and now corella is having support for arrays and even multi dimentional arrays as given in the ecmaScript.
var arr = 
.sub 'main' :main
Submitted by lucian on Tue, 08/16/2011 - 22:24
This is a summary
The soft deadline has passed and the hard deadline is not far away. Soon, what is likely to be my last GSoC will be over. And it was great! These three years I've had the summer job of my dreams. I worked on projects I was passionate about, using tools I liked and with people I liked.
Submitted by soh_cah_toa on Tue, 08/16/2011 - 02:54
Well, GSoC is starting to wind down. I can't believe it's almost over. It feels like the "pencils down" date just jumped up out of nowhere. I had a lot more planned for HBDB but there are many flaws in Parrot's design that make even some of the most basic debugging tasks very difficult which I'll explain in a moment.
Submitted by tcurtis on Tue, 08/09/2011 - 19:29
I'm far behind on my project, unfortunately, and, upon dukeleto's urging, I've written up a new timeline that I think I will be able to finish before Summer of Code ends.
First, I'll summarize what I have done:
- An object representation for grammars
- An object representation for deterministic push-down automata(DPDAs)
- Generation of DPDAs for LR(0) grammars
- The beginnings of an interpreter for DPDAs
And what I haven't done:
- Actually producing a parse tree while parsing